By Marshall Bwanya
Harare city is faced with myriad challenges and service delivery continues to deteriorate at a deplorable rate.
Harare Residents Trust (HWT) Director Precious Shumba has highlighted six key areas that are critical in resuscitating the capital to its former Sunshine city status.
1) HRT proposes joint partnerships between residents and the City of Harare in the repair of burst water and sewerage pipes, including road repairs on a timed massive scale to try to cover much ground.
2) Residents should be regular in paying their rates on time and contributing to the development of their city.
3) The City of Harare needs to be more transparent and accountable to its stakeholders, and ensure that service delivery is improved.
Restore City Parking to Council
4) City Parking should be fully restored to the City of Harare so that it does not remain under the leadership of corrupt management stationed at Harare House disguised as an independent company with its own management and board.
The reality is that it is a conduit for looting of council funds.
5) Corruption is one of several key factors that have contributed to the deterioration of service delivery.
The other factors are poor quality of Councillors, a conflicted and disunited management, a dysfunctional billing system, and very poor performance and expenditure management.
6) Resources allocation and strategic planning and oversight management in the City of Harare is very weak.
There is poor oversight, management and monitoring mechanisms in place to ensure compliance with their own policies, regulations and the laws governing urban governance and administration as well as town planning.