A report by a South African firm Nanotech Water Solutions has unearthed a bombshell showing that drinking Harare Council water is dangerous as it contains toxins which cause liver and central nervous system diseases.
Here we list some of these dangerous substances.
They are described as a toxic chemical substance that damages the liver. It can be a side-effect of medication but naturally it’s found as microcystins.
The effects of hepatotoxins depend on the amount, point of entry, distribution speed of the toxin, and the health of the person.
Described as a substance that alters the structure or function of the nervous system. They tend to damage, destroy or impair the functioning of the neural tissue.
Other common examples of other neurotoxins include lead, ethanol, glutamate, nitric oxide, and botox.
This is the plant that is producing some of the toxins as the long years of the pipes in use have resulted in the algae rapidly spreading across the water piping infrastructure making it difficult to remove.
It does not pose direct danger to health but the toxin it produces is considered harmful to human beings and animals when ingested.
This has been identified as an opportunistic pathogen of both humans and plants. It causes diseases in both.
Identified as an algae with beadlike cells. Found as plankton in shallow water and on moist soil. It produces a few different toxins and ingestion of small amounts can cause gastrointestinal distress.
The City of Harare currently imports a cocktail of 8 treatment chemicals at a cost of US$3 million per month but they are not able to deal with these.